The Baseball United Foundation (BUF) was founded in 2006 by documentary filmmaker John Fitzgerald. Our original name, Emerald Diamond USA, was a reference to John’s documentary about baseball in Ireland, The Emerald Diamond.
Our original mission was to support the development of amateur baseball programs in Ireland via fundraising and equipment donations. Over time, our mission has evolved as our footprint has expanded to include support for youth baseball programs in America and around the world.
Mission and Values
Our mission is to share the game of baseball.
We are committed to supporting the baseball community through the implementation of sustainable programs that make a positive impact on the lives of youth baseball players around the world.
Sharing the Game of Baseball
Baseball provides endless opportunities for learning and growth. It teaches children the values of teamwork, sportsmanship, responsibility, and integrity, while building self-esteem and promoting healthy choices through exercise and competition.
Yet, many youth baseball programs — in America and throughout the world — struggle for a variety of reasons, from a lack of equipment and experienced coaches to insufficient funding and facilities.
Baseball United works to help these teams, leagues, and organizations, by sharing resources, experience, and best practices, so more children can play baseball.
How We Share the Game of Baseball: P.A.C.E.
We use the acronym P.A.C.E. to organize our activities: we support the development of the game of baseball by Promoting the game, providing Access to the game, developing Communities within the game, and Educating people about the game.
P: Promoting the Game of Baseball
- Developing and supporting innovative youth baseball programs
A: Access to the Game of Baseball
- Fundraising for field development projects
- Providing affordable recruiting videos to high school baseball players
- Shipping donated equipment overseas
C: Communities within the Game of Baseball
- Connecting high school, college, and professional coaches with international organizations in need of their expertise
- Establishing and organizing teams for international competition
- Organizing fundraisers for youth baseball teams, leagues, and organizations
E: Educating People About the Game of Baseball
- Bringing international youth baseball players to America for instruction, camps, and games
- Conducting camps and clinics in the US and Europe
- Providing instruction manuals and remote video instruction to train volunteer coaches